Avançar para o conteúdo principal

Opinion | Verity by Colleen Hoover

“No one is likable from the inside out.”


     Opinião em Português     



Who doesn’t know Colleen Hoover?!

Readers say that she’s wonderful and, curious as I am, and loving thrillers as I do, I had to read Verity. I’ve read It Ends with Us and Confess, that I had different opinions (loved one, didn’t like the other).

Truth be told, I don’t see myself liking Hoover’s books as a romantic or a drama writer, but the girl is good at thrillers! I’d seen that she worked with Tarryn Fischer (I haven’t read anything by her but Mud Vein is on the list) and considering the psychotic vibe of one of the characters, certainly that Fischer gave a hand, that gave me the more reasons to read something by Fischer.

About the thriller: it’s very well constructed, such are the characters - fears, anxiety, malice, love etc. – it’s all very well characterized. The only downside is that’s predictable. Me and a fellow buddy reader (username: O Meu Reino da Noite) only missed one aspect.





Lowen Ashleigh is a mediocre success writer, that is chosen to continue writing a book serious by the famous Verity Crawford, since Verity, off the records, is uncappable to write. Lowen finds Verity’s autobiography that has pretty serious and severe facts and confessions. From there, the story unfolds basing of what Lowen reads from Verity’s autobiography.

The timeline is the present but when Lowen reads the biography it jumps to the past, nonetheless it’s not confusing at all.

The book made me cringe several times, especially in physical descriptions of child abuse. It reminded me a lot of Gone Girl, for all the psychopathy in a marriage and consequential manipulation of truth. 

I really liked this book and it’s ending leading to different interpretations.

It’s a great thriller for who just got started on the genre.






Verity

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Comentários