Avançar para o conteúdo principal

Opinion | Forever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid

“No matter how strong you are, no matter how smart you are or tough you can be, the world will find a way to break you. And when it does, the only thing you can do is hold on.”


     Opinião em Português     


I don’t like contemporary romances, I don’t like weak and permissive characters, I don’t like to read a book that focuses only on love and drama that gives a Mexican soap opera a run for its money. I don’t like to read love as sticky as honey. I don’t like to read books that portraits the death on a relationship because that rings to close to home. That possibility brings me to shear dread.

I read this book contradicted but the fact that was written by the same author of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Daisy Jones and The Six, is argument more than enough to read of her works. This little one was the first novel she wrote.

The synopsis is quite simple – Elsie and Ben got married little over a week when he dies.

It’s not a spoiler, comes in the first chapter.


So, what’s the book about? About a widower’s grief, losing the love of a life and yes, it’s a sad book.

This is where Reid mastery kicks in: we know, from the start this couple’s tragic ending but, from the reader’s perspective is meaningless because we don’t know them. As their story and Elsie’s grief progresses, we cry with her, we can feel the pain. Switching back from present and past, Reid gives us a clear perspective of their marriage and Elsie’s mourning.

I felt the knot in my throat, my heart as with her as if was my grief. Reid know human’s emotions to well, so well that I felt that I was in the story.

Initially I didn’t like the book at all, it wanted to DNF it, but my trust in Reid kept me from giving that book up. As I read Elsie’s feelings embraced me, sucked me to her life.

This book can be appreciated for those who like contemporary romance and dramas. It’s a sad and kind of sobby novel with a genius and simple writing.



Forever, InterruptedForever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins Reid

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Comentários