Avançar para o conteúdo principal

Opinion | One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid

“True love doesn’t always last,” I say. “It doesn’t always have to be for a lifetime”


     Opinião em Português     


People you have to read Taylor Jenkins Reid!! That’s the bottom-line!

That girl is a freaking genius in portraying human emotions.

Emma and Jesse, high school sweethearts, leave hometown, get married and explore the world by traveling.

Jesse, in a work trip, has an accident and he’s declared dead.

The book begins with this:


“I’m finishing having dinner with my family and fiancée, when my husband calls.”


Yes, I’ve read this about 5 times to make sense of what I was reading, because I started this book without giving a look into the synopsis.

Emma, being now a widow, decides to move back to her hometown to have a fresh start of life. Years later, she starts dating a friend from her adolescence, Sam.

When her husband resurrects, not at the end of 3 days but 3 years, Emma’s engaged. And she’ll have to figure out who is her true love.



Alright! I know!

I know that this may sound like a Nicholas Sparks or Danielle Steel wannabe but the truth is: it’s not.

The problem in explaining Taylor Jenkins Reid is quite complicated without seeming to be a chick flick.  Her books go way beyond that because there isn’t any perfections nor illusions. These characters are “real” people with an extraordinary level of insight and a powerful message. Reid present us a perspective not at all illusionary but real.

Reid can write about the most profound of human emotions and influence the reader to know better. In this case, the difference between what we believe to be one true love, because it’s not real, what we feel comes from the influence our significant other has in us.

This one doesn’t reach the level of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (if it’ll ever be one, I don’t know) but it’s a wonderful book that puts things in another perspective. 


From the same author, here on the blog:

Opinion | Forever, Interrupted

Opinion | Maybe In Another Life



One True LovesOne True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid

My rating: 5 of 5 stars





Comentários