Avançar para o conteúdo principal

Opinion | Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

“People do go mad, you know, if you stop them from sleeping for long enough...”


     Opinião em Português     


When I picked up this book, I wanted a quick and light reading and it didn’t disappoint.

It’s a thriller that puts in question the supernatural, with a gloomy setting, which I love.

Rowan Caine answers an employment ad to a nanny job, taking care of four children, very well paid. Rowan takes noticed of some weird and concerning situations. One of them is the fact that, in little time, several nannies started working there and left abruptly. The other is the children’s weird and quirky behaviour.



Despite don’t having the stomach to watch terror movies, I can easily read terror books and feel the suspense building up in me. This book, however, failed to reach what I consider a great thriller.

The writing is simple and straightforward yet too descriptive (I could easily sell that house and receive the commission based on the description alone) and that the author couldn’t deliver the intense feeling of fear and overall emotions of the characters.

I found the main character petulant and arrogant and I couldn’t empathize with her. Even the dialogues and interactions felt a little off.

I really liked the ending. Completely unexpected, I didn’t count on that at all.




The Turn of the KeyThe Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Comentários