Avançar para o conteúdo principal

Opinion | It by Stephen King

Hey ho! Let's go!

Oh wait... wrong book!


     Opinião em Português     


I've been reading Stephen King's books chronologically but the curiosity got the better of me and I couldn't wait any longer.

Through the 1272 pages (portuguese edition) we fight alonside the Losers Club against some entity called IT, which terrorizes the children from Derry every 27 years.

There's two timelines - 1958 and 1985 -that they're simple enough to follow.

The first part takes us in first recent deaths that open up It's cycle, following to the calls to get the Club back together to Derry, in 1985, and each one remenisce the enconter each had with IT.

The second part, the timelines are joined together more frequently but they're simple enough to the reader to follow. As a matter a fact, it becomes more interesting therefore inscreses the suspense.

Between the timelines, there are the Interludes, pieces of one of the Losers investigation on It's cycles prior of 1958 and foward, and everything connected to IT.


Normally, King misses a bit at the end but this wasn't the case. I definitely expected more but considering what the author turned IT to be, I couldn't expect anything different from the end the author has chosen. It was a good ending, with all the questions answered and I end up with a lump in my throat by having to say goodbye to the Losers.

King took 4 years to write this book, after he decided to write a big a*s book, inspired by a norwegian folk tale and a kid's  biggest fear - Clowns. And yes, the clown scared the living crap outta me, and i'm not even afraid of them.

King's writing is simple and coherent (just how i like it), there're always na explanation to the littlest detail.

Initially I assumed that some parts were unnecessary, only to later regret those words, because there's a point to those parts later on. All the book is interesting and the reading is nicely fluid despite the amount of pages that it has.

For those who haven't read King yet, know that this man always pictures the raw truth - domestic violence, bullying, racismo, death and everything else - with the most honest of depictions. 

He understands the emotion behind every human situation. That's why most of the things he writes is controversial. Here we see situations that nowadays are extremely sensitive and that, personally, shocked me, but I understand why they're were used. As Pet Samatery is to death, IT is to, essencially, the transition from childhood to adulthood - the lost of innocence.

This book became one of my favorites of King’s. It’s not even a dull moment in the story and I still miss the Losers.




ItIt by Stephen King

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Comentários